by Franklyn Frantos (Snr)

Come to the UK and work as a Health Care Assistant (HCA)

Last week, I wrote about the shortages of staff in the UK health and social care sector, about what the government is doing to attract staffs from outside the United Kingdom. If you miss it, follow the link below to get the full gist.

See what you need to do…

…To be eligible for the new Health and Care visa, applicants and their dependants will be given priority processing, dedicated resources, and reduced visa fees to process their application.

According to the UK government, it is a “Temporary measure”.

The temporary measures are expected to go into effect early in the new year and be in place for at least 12 months before being reviewed. This they say is needed “to provide a much-needed staffing boost while the sector deals with the additional pressures caused by the pandemic”.

In response to the issue of visa sponsorship, Health and Social Care Secretary Sajid Javid said, “It is critical that we continue to do everything we can to protect the social care sector during and after the pandemic”.

The health secretary continued “In addition to the support packages that have been announced since September 2020, these measures will help us ensure the short-term viability and success of our long-term vision to rebuild social care to a high standard”.

It is imperative that health care providers who are yet to obtain their Skilled Worker Sponsorship License prior to the offer’s implementation should do so in order to take advantage of this opportunity.” Early in the year, new visa sponsors will be introduced to the system and taught about the visa sponsorship process through a series of engagement activities.

This then simply means that Health and Care visas will allow caregivers who are hired from the United Kingdom to bring their family members along with them. This is especially important for caregivers who plan to stay in the country and work in the health care industry after they arrive.

Home Secretary Priti Patel MP said that the care sector is facing “unprecedented challenges” as a result of the pandemic. Changes to the visa for health and care workers will help alleviate some of the current pressures on the workforce.”

n The UK Home Secretary, Priti Patel (MP)

An example of our New Plan for Immigration in action, which shows our commitment to supporting the NHS and wider health care sector is by making it easier for health professionals to live and work in the UK. “The choice was made after spending £465.2 million to help social workers get hired and keep them during the difficult winter months. A further £500 million will be added to the Health and Social Care’s funding for workforce training, qualifications, and well-being. More than £2.5 billion in funding for adult social care has been committed to councils as a result of COVID-19’s impact, which includes unrestricted grants totalling £6 billion”.

Also, more than £1 billion in system reform will be spent over the next three years to improve the lives of those who receive care, as well as their families and carers, as detailed in the adult social care reform white paper, “People at the Heart of Care,” which outlined the ten-year vision.


The following are the procedures to be followed by Nigerians who wish to move to the United Kingdom and work as a Healthcare Assistant (Carer). However,  the entire process isn’t stress-free, but it’s very simple. You just need to follow all the steps and instructions.


A Healthcare Assistant, also known as a Nursing Assistant or Auxiliary Nurse (carer) in the United Kingdom or was until recently. They work in hospitals and other medical facilities, they are responsible for providing care to patients while under the supervision of a medical professional, a nurse lead and they work to assist the patients’ recovery, comfort, and overall safety.


According to the Department of Health, those (from Nigeria) who wish to work as a Healthcare Assistant (CARER) in the United Kingdom do not necessarily require a long list of qualifications, as most care giving positions include an on-the-job training and close supervision.

You will, however, have an advantage if you have any of the following:

  1. A Care Certificate (which can be obtained in the United Kingdom from a HEE – Health Education England approved training organisation).
  2. Certificate in Health and Social Services (DHSS)
  3. GCSE (General Certificate of Secondary Education) grades 9–4 (A to C)
  4. WAEC or SSCE can be used in place of equivalent healthcare credentials.
  5. A caring and empathetic skill

Home caregiver wearing a facemask while assisting a senior woman walking with a mobility walker

Aside the qualifications listed above, which some employers consider necessary, there are no required qualifications for a position as a Healthcare Assistant.


As a Nigerian seeking to relocate and work in the UK, you will almost certainly need a visa. When applying, choose from the various visa types that are available. The most appropriate visa for this position is the “Health and Care Worker visa,” which falls under the skilled worker category and was formerly known as the Tier 2 visa.

A Health and Care Worker visa enables medical professionals to travel to or stay in the United Kingdom to work in adult social care for the National Health Service (NHS) or for an NHS supplier.

Search for positions as a Healthcare Assistant in the NHS, NHS suppliers (companies that provide medical services to the NHS), or adult social care. Hospitals, nursing homes, and companies that provide in-home / community healthcare services are all potential employers.


  1. Prove you have good command of the English language.
  2. A valid passport (with an expiration date of no less than 6 months, preferably re-issued) and other identification documents proving your identity and nationality.
  3. Your job title and how much money you make per year? (If applicable).
  4. The occupation code for the position you are applying for (6141 – for nursing auxiliaries and assistants).
  5. The name of your employer and the sponsor licence number (if applicable) are required (this should be on your certificate of sponsorship)

If you do not already have a sponsorship certificate, request one from your employer.


The visa, approved can be valid for up to five years total, depending on the number of years your sponsor licence indicates, and what level of visa you pay for when you submit your visa application. Take note that when your visa expires (before it expires), or if you change jobs or employers, remember to extend before it expires or update your visa with your new employer details to be current and legal. Otherwise, you will be an overstayer and an illegal immigrant.


You will most likely need to meet the following requirements to be eligible for a Health and Care Worker visa:

Professionals include both a doctor and a nurse.

  1. A health-care professional
  2. A professional in the field of adult social services Job in the health or social services sector.

A carer supporting a resident while relatives looks on


You must have a confirmed job offer as well as a ‘certificate of sponsorship’ from a UK employer that includes information about the position you have been offered within the country before you can be considered for a visa. The minimum salary scale is required, as well as confirmation that the job offer is from a legitimate UK employer. (Read my last article) – 

It is necessary for you to obtain the approval of a sponsor or your potential employer before moving forward.

The sponsors of your entry into or continued residence in the United Kingdom are employers who have been approved by the Immigration and Asylum Office (IAO).

If your employer is not currently approved by the UK’s home office but meets the eligibility requirements, they must apply on your behalf for a sponsor licence. Small businesses and charities will be charged £536, while medium and large businesses and organisations will be charged £1,476. An application for a licence takes about 8 weeks to process on average.


If you already have a job offer, they (your sponsor) will make sure you meet all of the eligibility requirements.

They will give you a “certificate of sponsorship” so that you can prove your eligibility for the visa.

The sponsorship certificate is an electronic record that can be accessed online rather than a physical document. It will be printed with a reference number that you will need for your visa application. The sponsorship certificate must be received within three months of the date you want to apply for your visa.


You will be required to demonstrate your command of the English language when you apply. To be considered, you must demonstrate that you can read, write, speak, and understand English at a level equivalent to at least B1 on the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages (CEFR) scale.


To apply for a Health and Care Worker visa in the United Kingdom, you must pay an application fee of £232 if you intend to stay for up to three years, or £464 if you intend to stay for more than three years.

In order to demonstrate that you can support yourself for a month after arriving in the United Kingdom, you must have a minimum of £1,270 in your bank account when you arrive in the United Kingdom.

Alternatively, if your employer is able to assist you, your certificate of sponsorship must specifically state that fact in plain language.


It’s possible that you’ll be asked to show proof of your ability to support yourself or dependants (if they will arrive with you) while in the UK, such as bank statements (unless your certificate of sponsorship shows your employer can support you).

If you’re applying with children or a partner, you’ll need to provide proof of your relationship. Also required are the results of a tuberculosis test which can be gotten from the International Organization for Migration (IOM) in Lagos or Abuja. They fee for the test is $150 for your test and $60 each for your dependants under the age of 11 years as at the time of application.

You will need to obtain a unique UK NARIC (National Academic Recognition Information Centre) reference number if your qualification is from a country outside of the United Kingdom (you will need to apply for this through the UK NARIC visas and Nationality Service). An empty passport page that will be used to obtain a visa for travel abroad.

You should always seek assistance from a VISA processing agency when in doubt, especially when you suspect that you may be stuck or have made an error during the visa application process. In order to avoid data duplication, double-check that all of the information you provide is accurate. Personal information you provide to the United Kingdom Home Office will be used to determine whether or not your application will be granted, and your information may be shared with other public and private sector organisations in the United Kingdom and abroad.

Franklyn Frantos (Snr)

Feferity Media Group © 2021

Images, courtesy Google images and Unsplash





You may also like

This website uses cookies to improve your experience. We'll assume you're ok with this, but you can opt-out if you wish. Accept Read More